The hospital attached to the King George's Medical University is called the Gandhi Memorial & Associated Hospitals. This hospital complex is spread over an area of 88,000 square meters with a conglomeration of buildings housing various departments and their respective wards. Besides the original hospital building, which houses the Department of Radiodiagnosis, Radiotherapy, Orthopedic Surgery and ENT and also the Offices & Surgical Wards, there are separate buildings for the Department of Tuberculosis & Chest Diseases, Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Surgery (General,
Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Surgical Oncology and Urology), Psychiatry, Geriatric Mental Health, Cardiology, Neurology and Pathology, Rehabilitation & Physical Medicine, Orthopedics and Rheumatology. Several new departments like Transfusion Medicine, Hospital Administration, Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy and Clinical Haematology have been created.
There are also separate Outpatients Department and a new Surgical Emergency & Trauma Centre. The total number of beds are 2424 with a bed occupancy rate of 90-100%. The annual outpatient attendance is about 510,000/year and the indoor admissions about 51,000/year. The hospital provides speciality services in all branches of medicine. Patients are attended to and admissions are made round the clock.
This is a Medical University Hospital where all medical, surgical and nursing care was provided free of cost. However, charges were introduced in August 2000. Patients now have to pay a nominal charge for admission to hospital and for investigations and procedures done. In addition, patients may have to buy drugs and disposables as the hospital budget does not allow for all medicines to be supplied free of cost to the patients. All the faculty members of the clinical departments of King George's Medical University are attached to the hospital as visiting consultants. Besides, the hospital has its own full time staff - administrative and technical. Consequently the hospital is managed by some 435 Consultants, 715 Resident Doctors, 283 Nurses, 48 Pharmacists, 370 Technical & Paramedical, 275 Clerical and 1128 Ancillary (Class IV) staff.