The Central Library of the University was established in 1911 inside the Administrative Block. The present Central Library building was built in 1978 and in 1996 a new block was added. The covered area of Central Library is 4012.11 Sq. Mtrs.
The Central Library has been nominated as resource Library in 1996 by National Medical Library, New Delhi and in 2002 the Central Library got linkage with the National Medical Library under the PILOT PROJECT of the Government of India and Presently we are a Member of Electronic Resources in Medicine (ERMED-India) Consortium, New Delhi, India Which we able to access 242+ high quality online e-journals from five leading Publishers.
The Central Library has a collection of 35075-books, 27905-bound volumes, 2690-Book Bank, 3031-Thesis and 919-CD’s till March 2017 (as per holding shown on KOHA-Library Management Software) and the Central Library Subscribed 224 print-Journals, 1160 e-journals, 4003 e-books, 40713 video’s and 3290824 image’s for the year of 2017.
Library has been automated with ‘KOHA’ (Library Management Software). Online searching of documents through OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) is available on the computers connected to Central Library LAN via URL searching mode http://172.16.26.35 All the books, journals and thesis are tagged with radio-frequency identification system (RFID) and for its Security to Magnetic Detection Gates have been installed in the Library for ensuring the security of documents. Closed Circuit TV’s installation have been done in all wings of the library.
Library has been started e-portal of Library that contains all the online resources subscribed by the Central Library and User’s can use this portal elibrary.kgmu.org to access all the online resources subscribed by the University from anywhere in the world.
The List of past Honorary Librarians/Officer-in-Charges, in chronological order (as per records available):
Name of Faculty Member
Dr. B.K. Khanna
Tuberculosis & Chest Diseases
Dr. G.P. Agarwal
Dr. K.K. Tangri
Dr. Ramesh Chandra
Dr. Devika Nag
Dr. Ashok Chandra
Dr. Raj Mehrotra
Dr. M.M. Goel
Dr. Apul Goel
,, (Designated w.e.f 16th May, 2014 and still is continuing)
With the efforts of former Vice Chancellor, Prof. Hari Gautam and the then Honorary Librarian Prof Madhu Mati Goel, the renovation of the Central Library was done during the year 2007-10. Today, the reading rooms are attractive and the facade of the library is very pleasant.
In 2014, Prof. Ravi Kant, Vice Chancellor, gave a massive thrust to the library by increasing the library budget many folds. With the goal of updating the library and making it at world-class level, the library purchased a large number of valuable and prestigious books and journals (online and print). A new renovated section of keeping the journals was also commissioned.